Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A mixed day

Last weekend I made plans for this next week to include a bit more of a communion with nature. Specifically, I wanted to start running more and I wanted to start bringing my camera to work to take pictures during lunch. I'd been avoiding running for a while because the weather here was disgustingly humid and I felt like I had only one lung when I ran. At least that was my excuse for not running. So I started off yesterday morning. I woke up bright and early at 7:15 and strapped on my shoes and such and was out the door. I'd only made it down to the end of the block before disaster struck. I was admiring all of the beautiful leaves that have filled the street and the heaps of them that are collected between cars on the side of the road. As I crossed the street to the sidewalk I jumped over one of these mounds of autumnal splendor. It was immediately after my feet left the ground that I realized that I couldn't exactly see what where I would be landing due


to a car I was jumping past and the leaves that covered the edge of the sidewalk. In what I'm sure was a magnificent display of awkwardness in mid-air, I landed on the ground awkwardly because I didn't know if my foot would be hitting road, sidewalk, or curb and, as we say in the running biz, I ate crap.



Putting aside my shame until later, I dusted myself off and kept going. I made it home, showered up and bandaged up myself. I headed to work and, with intense anticipation, finally made it out to take pictures at lunch. I'd been wanting to do this for a while and I probably missed the most beautiful times of the fall two weeks ago, but it's still pretty great. Here are a few of the pics I took:


2 comments:

Al said...

I like the first tree shot the best, good stuff eh', keep it coming

Anonymous said...

sam the trees are so pretty! I wish you could have seen how pretty they were in washington right now! the drive home from portland to home...AMAZING. Also. the picture of your knee is SICK! I threw up in my mouth a little when i saw it! i am sorry you got a boo boo though it looks like it was painful.